WOW - it was interesting facilitating a discussion for class while trying to participate in all the other discussions :-). I encourage the discussions to flow, I'm not one to answer 'each' post with generic comments of "good thought" or "I agree" but to enable to group to actively interact, much like I would a classroom. I am encouraged when the adult learners actively discuss thoughts regarding a topic and I just keep the discussions moving forward. Great job class!
Below is my summary that was posted:
This topic was chosen to raise awareness about Information Literacy and to create a forum for discussion. Kudos to all who took the November Literacy Test and shared their thoughts about their experience!
Some in the class have actually met or spoke with Alan November. Although some of his information may seem clear to some, for many his information was worth a read/test.
The question was posed about Information Literacy versus Website Literacy. Because information is posted on websites, I believe he is attempting to address both. As educators it is our responsibility to learn and teach our students (and our children) to be critical consumers and thinkers. Critical readers with critical reflection.
The question was posed about at age should we begin teaching information literacy. There was quite a discussion about 'when', from womb to HS shop class, but the important thing is that we all recognized the importance of engagement, adult functioning skills, life-long learning, and that information literacy should begin the sooner than later. The more informed the better.
“Information is the seed for an idea, and only grows when it's watered.” Heinz V. Bergen
Sunday, May 9, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.