Sunday, May 9, 2010

Class Wiki

I enjoyed participating in the online class group wiki. I believe it will be a great final product.

One downside I found with the wiki experience is 'page locks'. Yes, I could have kicked others off and took control of the page, but that would rude and unprofessional.

During the final week, there were several days/hours that pages were repeatedly locked. Out of respect I didn't take over the page and begin my own updates. I could see this issue being problematic for a classroom setting OR a work session when the same students keep pages open in editing for hours at a time.

One may say, don't try to contribute the final week of the assignment, but in reality, in a true collaboration, there are often last minute updates needed by all in the class, group, or team.

I found the collaboration wiki experience enlightening. If I would use in a classroom or work setting I would reserve the final week to 'cosmetic stuff' and make the assignment content due the week before. This way formatting would not take away from content publishing.

Lesson learned....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.